11 Cream
16 Sugar
JoAnn

Caffeine Reviews

"Books and Coffee it doesn't get any better than this..."

Sarah's Key - Tatiana de Rosnay Sarah's Key is a fictional story built around a true event the Vel' dHiv Roundup which took place in Paris France on July 16th and 17th 1942. Sarah Starzynski is a Jewish child of 10 whose family is one of the 1000's that has been arrested and taken to the Ve'lodrome d'Hiver an indoor bicycling racetrack and stadium and held there for several days before being transported to the Beaune-la-rolande camp. During the family's arrest Sarah hides her little brother who is 4 in a secret cupboard locking him in thinking that they will return in a few hours and she will free him.

Julia Jarmond is an American journalist married to a Frenchman and has lived in France for the past 25 years. Her boss has assigned her a story on the commemorative 60th anniversary of the Vel' dhive roundup.

Their story flashes back and forth between 1942 and the present as we follow Sarah's ordeal and Julia's unraveling of the past.

I totally enjoyed the book it was a real page turner for me. I am ashamed to say until I read Sarah's Key I had never even heard of the Vel' d'Hiv event. I am giving it 5 stars.